Friday, August 22, 2008

The Olympics

For the record... I am now officially qualified to score every event and provide knowledgable commentary to every olympic sport.
I am by no means a flag waver... I outgrew blind patriotism at about 15.
I find myself conflicted... I will always root for the underdog, but USA is a giant, rich, fucking monster. The furthest thing from an underdog, yet I root for our athletes. I miss the days of the USSR, the evil red army of super-natural athletes that USA has now become. With the USSR in the olympics it made it seem less like we were going to win every event. It had a good vs. evil feel in every event, now it's just which American is the favorite. Most events we overmatch smaller countries so heavily that its become less fun. All that being said, I'll still watch team handball or whatever silly event that the programmers put on, because for some reason I can't get enough olympic coverage.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Now the enemy is China and the crap they push on american consumers...

Eric said...

I don't feel the same competitive spirit towards the Chinese. Although I am oddly irritated by pre-pubescent gymnasts.