Saturday, September 27, 2008

Paul Newman 1/26/25 - 9/26/08

I recently asked my brother to name one rich person who isn't an asshole... He fired back quicker than I expected and said... Paul Newman. It was an easy answer because he knows that he was a hero of mine, but still he's right. I was deeply saddened this morning to hear that he has passed away. Ordinarily, I feel that the people who have the least give the most, there is of course a few exceptions. Not only was he my favorite actor, he was in inspiration.

Quick anecdote: As most of you know, My family runs a camp for families affected by AIDS/HIV. Paul Newman's "Hole in the wall" camps are for children with life threatening illnesses. We have had a couple kids at our camp that have also attended his. Now, I only bring this up because I hold him in such high regard... We get pats on the back, and "wow, that's great, what you do" Whatever, that's not why we do it. This little story is my favorite compliment that I've ever received...
The Hole in the Wall camps have millions at there disposal because of his generosity. We on the other hand get by on whatever we can scrape together. A couple years ago, I asked one particular camper about his experience at the Hole in the Wall, he said that is was fun, the cabin's were air conditioned, they had video games, internet, celebrity appearances, everything a kid could want... But that he liked our camp better. I was stunned, and am not ashamed to admit that it brought a tear to my eye. You see, when Jen and I started out as councellors, it was an emotional thing to be a part of. We'd get choked up just thinking about our experiences with the campers. Over time, and now as directors, we've hardened and are a lot less likely to have our heart-strings tugged. To think that our humble Healing Community could be preferred to my personal hero's million dollar camp experience! Wow.

I don't bring this up to brag, because what we do pales in comparison to what he has done for people all over the world. I'd like to think that if I was in position that I wouldn't do anything differently. Doing it and thinking it are two entirely different things. Thank You, Paul Newman, you will be missed.

No comments: